Make Smoking History is a not-for-profit initiative committed to the goal of reducing smoking in Western Australia. Gatecrasher has partnered with Cancer Council WA to promote the Make Smoking History initiative, across traditional and digital marketing channels, for fourteen years.
Through years of campaign work, we know that consistent triggers and reminders are most effective in driving quitting behaviour. Whilst digital channels enable Make Smoking History to have a continual conversation with smokers, conservative campaign budgets require our strategies to be efficient and focused on few goals:
- Increase discussion and social sharing of the message and encourage audience consideration of quitting smoking
- Drive smokers to the MSH website for helpful quitting content
- Raise awareness of the Make Smoking History brand
An always-on digital approach involves a mix of AdWords, Google Display Network, and YouTube advertising, to deliver timely, relevant reminders to smokers.
In social (Facebook and Instagram), where desensitisation is a risk for an always-on approach, we use mini-campaigns to talk to a variety of important anti-smoking messages. This allows us to treat every message with creative rigour, reaching broad audiences or targeted segments with engaging, ‘stop you in your newsfeed’ content.
The results? In the last 12 months we have achieved:
- Over 80,000 social engagements
- More than 70,000 unique visitors to the website
- 2000+ website conversions indicating a behavioural change intention